Training and Education Schedule
Volunteers play an important role at Center for Hospice Care. Most volunteers must complete a training program that includes:
- Hospice and palliative care philosophy and concepts
- Physiological and psychological aspects of serious illnesses
- Family dynamics and coping
- Communication and listening skills
- Emergency procedures
- Practical care-giving techniques
- Grief and bereavement
The training focuses on the hospice philosophy, communication skills, spirituality, family dynamics, patient care, bereavement, and much more. Following training, volunteers will assist patients and families in St. Joseph, Elkhart, Kosciusko, Fulton, Marshall, Starke, LaGrange, and LaPorte Counties with respite, transportation, laundry, errands and companionship in their homes, in Hospice House, the agency’s inpatient unit, or in nursing homes.
For a volunteer application click here. (pdf version)
For questions, please email email@example.com or call Kristiana Donahue at 574-286-1198.