Our Five Promises to You
It's no secret there is more than one hospice program operating in our area. Within the eight counties served by Center for Hospice Care (CHC) there are now a record 28 different hospice agencies.
To continue to differentiate our program from others, we believe we must go beyond simply listing a set of unique features that make us the right choice. We must articulate the benefits of choosing CHC for yourself or your loved ones.
Why choose CHC for yourself or your loved ones? We answer this question by applying our core values of Compassion, Dignity, Integrity, Innovation, Quality, Service, and Stewardship to these five promises.
1. As the area's first and most experienced hospice program, we will provide you with the most comprehensive range of end-of-life care services.
As Indiana's number one hospice program, nowhere in our community will you benefit from a more proficient or more experienced staff to provide high quality, patient and family-centered care at the end of life. After 33 years and more than 25,500 patients, CHC is the leading local expert in caring for people facing serious, advanced and life-limiting illnesses. With a vast range of nationally recognized benefits for patients and families, the depths of our services are unmatched within our community.
2. To provide the best care and expertise for you, our three full-time, board certified Hospice and Palliative Medicine physicians will work with your physician to the extent you desire.
Today there are around 5,000 board-certified specialists in hospice and palliative medicine in the nation. It's estimated 50% of them work half time or less in this field. For the benefit of our patients and referral sources, CHC is proud to employ three board certified hospice and palliative medicine physicians full-time. Additionally, each CHC staff physician is also board certified in either Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, or Emergency Medicine. In addition to assistance with pain and symptom management treatment options, CHC staff physicians are also available for palliative care consults and to help you with hospice eligibility decisions and disease specific criteria for hospice program admission.
3. A CHC staff Registered Nurse will answer the telephone whenever you or your caregivers call 1-800-HOSPICE outside of regular business hours seven days a week.
During a life-limiting illness, time is a precious commodity and CHC will do all it can to meet the needs of our patients and families as expeditiously as possible. While some hospice programs use answering and triage services located in other states, we deliver a "speed to service" benefit for our patients and their families. Answering our own calls 24/7 removes an unnecessary and time consuming step for everyone.
4. For acute symptom management needs you will have access to the region's only freestanding hospice inpatient facilities.
If at any time you experience pain and symptoms that cannot be controlled in your home or other settings, CHC offers the only freestanding Medicare certified hospice inpatient units in the region. More than 500 patients each year experience one of our two units located in South Bend and Elkhart. These units are owned, operated and staffed by CHC professionals whose single focus is making you as comfortable as possible.
5. For your benefit, a full range of essential interdisciplinary staff is standing by 24/7 to provide not only emergency nursing and physician support, but also psychosocial, spiritual and emotional support.
The heart of hospice care lies in its interdisciplinary approach. Quality end-of-life care is much more than treating physical symptoms. Like CHC, many hospice programs have an RN on call after hours, but CHC takes the extra steps. Not only are our board certified hospice physicians available, but core interdisciplinary team members are also accessible around the clock. Whenever you or your family need counseling, emotional or spiritual support, CHC staff social workers and spiritual care counselors are always just a phone call away.